Author Topic: How to Fix Lag/Performance issues with EverQuest  (Read 2869 times)

Offline hazimil

• Hazimil Skelyd's EverQuest Resource Page
How to Fix Lag/Performance issues with EverQuest
« on: April 25, 2019, 11:20:00 am »
Hi

I've noticed a few people recently complaining about lag within EverQuest and discussions on how to fix it.  Below are some pointers which will help in fixing/reducing your lag:

Clean-up your PC
Overtime your PC builds up temp files and other "crap" which doesn't get cleaned-up automatically.  There are tools to help reduce this, a popular one is CCleaner, however since they have been purchased by Avast I have noticed the product is just not as good as it used to be, for example it's had a virus in the install file (not good!), and also some features which used to be free are now paid for.  However, there is an alternative to this, and thats BleachBit, this is a free opensourced alternative, however the user interface is not as flashy as CCleaner.  It's worth mentioning that Windows does have a good cleaner built in, and this is called Disc Clean-up.

Basically run one of these tools on a regular basis to clear up the trash files on your PC, this will help with performance.

Defragment your EverQuest installation drive
Again, there are tools out there on the internet to help you do this, for example, Defraggler and Disk SpeedUp, however Windows also has a defrag tool built in, Defragment and Optimize Drives.

Running one of these tools on the drive (or folder) you have installed EverQuest, will ensure the files are stored in continuous blocks on the hard-disk which will help with EverQuest loading times.

Please Note: There is no need to run these tools if EverQuest is installed on a SSD drive, SSD drives do not suffer with defragmention speed issues, and defragmenting an SSD drive will reduce the drives overall life and performance.

Use a SSD or RAM drive
For faster performance you could install EverQuest onto a SSD drive (I have), or if you have the RAM, you could install EverQuest onto a RAM drive (but save the image for restoring on reboots).

Update your Video Drivers
Keeping your video drivers up-to-date will help with graphic performance, not just with EverQuest but with your PC in general.

CPU affinity
EverQuest can now utilise multiple cores (cpu affinity) on a processor, and this helps by granting EverQuest access to more processing power.  By default EverQuest uses one core, however you can change this by editing the [Defaults] section of your eqclient.ini file in your EverQuest installation folder, and adding (or editing) the following:

CPUAffinity0=-1
CPUAffinity1=-1
CPUAffinity2=-1
CPUAffinity3=-1
CPUAffinity4=-1
CPUAffinity5=-1

Each CPUAffinity# line refers to your first (the one with the zero), 2nd, 3rd, etc instance of EverQuest (if you don't ever box, there may only be the first one - CPUAffinity0).  Edit the line(s) so all are set to -1 (NEGATIVE ONE).  The original number it was set to is the core in your processor that instance of EverQuest was being forced to use prior to this change, changing it to -1 allows EverQuest to use ALL cores of your processor, greatly improving performance.

Please Note: You must only edit the eqclient.ini file when EverQuest is not running, otherwise it just gets overwritten when EverQuest quits.

Throttling Log Writes
With the 29 April 2014 patch, EverQuest added the ability to throttle log writes instead of opening the log file and writing every line each time.  The command is /loginterval [seconds].  When set to 0 it will not throttle at all.  By default this is set to one (1) second, changing this setting will slow down the amount of time EverQuest writes to the log file, thus improving performance.

Please Note: However, changing the /loginterval to a larger number than 0 will have an impact on Audio Triggers, i.e. they will be delayed - which can be problematic during raids!  Therefore if you raid and rely on GINA for audio triggers you should have this setting as zero.

Excluding EverQuest logs folder from Anti-Virus products
A know issue with EverQuest is the way it handles the log files.  For some reason instead of keeping the log file open, EverQuest instead appends each log file entry X line(s) at a time (based on the delay set with /loginterval), this is basically the equivalent of opening the log file, adding a line and then saving it (many times a second).  Now, as each open and save is seen as a file interaction your Anti-Virus product may react to this and kick-off a scan of the log file - doing this repeatedly = reduced system performance!

Therefore you should add the EverQuest\Logs folder to your list of exclusions within your Anti-Virus product, this will stop it from scanning the file every time a change is made.

Log file size
Finally, over large log file sizes also affect performance.  Therefore its recommended that you keep you log file to a maximum size of 100MB.  You can monitor this manually, or if your use GINA you can configure this to manage them for you.

Disable Journal (thanks to Seeker)
Ensure that the Journal (Alt-J) system within EverQuest is not enabled.

I hope this helps.

Yours
  Jonathan
  aka Hazimil

EDITED: For spelling/layout mistakes.
ADDED: Use a SSD or RAM drive
ADDED: Update your Video Drivers
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:51:12 pm by hazimil »

Tradeskills (Salvage 6, all with 50% less chance of failure): Baking: 305+15%, Blacksmithing: 316+15%, Brewing: 350+15%, Fishing: 245+8%, Fletching: 304+15%, Hybrid Research: 256+8%, Jewelry Making: 302+15%, Pottery: 315+15%, Tailoring: 316+15%, Tinkering: 318+15%

---> Hazimil Skelyd's EverQuest Resource Page

Offline Frangipan

• Demi-god Member
Re: How to Fix Lag/Performance issues with EverQuest
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 12:14:30 pm »
Thank you. 
Save the earth, it's the only planet with chocolate!

Offline Elfguard

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 12:37:55 pm »
i had Bad issues with CC Cleaner, shotin my whole System, tho this Programm i will never touch again!
just my Personal feelin
Elfguard, War 29K

Offline Seeker

• God-like Member
  • Wot frigging mob ?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 01:24:41 pm »
Turn off journal in EQ

Alt J - make sure Enable Journal is not ticked

Offline Wulerdar

• Honk if you eat gnomes
  • Beta
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 05:14:07 pm »
also buy a ssd drive if you don't have one there cheap and the performance gains in everything are HUGE like warrior to wizard tanking huge =P

Offline Dauredhel

• God-like Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 11:08:14 am »
Thanks for this Hazi, very useful  :)

I mean...i'm not perfect...pretty close but not perfect...but some of the stuff ppl pull off...it's like...you never been in a raid before? - Cuba - 19 July '10

Offline hazimil

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 06:05:25 pm »
Added:

Use a SSD or RAM drive
For faster performance you could install EverQuest onto a SSD drive (I have), or if you have the RAM, you could install EverQuest onto a RAM drive (but save the image for restoring on reboots).

Tradeskills (Salvage 6, all with 50% less chance of failure): Baking: 305+15%, Blacksmithing: 316+15%, Brewing: 350+15%, Fishing: 245+8%, Fletching: 304+15%, Hybrid Research: 256+8%, Jewelry Making: 302+15%, Pottery: 315+15%, Tailoring: 316+15%, Tinkering: 318+15%

Offline Dauredhel

• God-like Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 07:26:22 pm »
I made the CPU affinity change and certainly noticed an uptick in performance, especially on raids.

I mean...i'm not perfect...pretty close but not perfect...but some of the stuff ppl pull off...it's like...you never been in a raid before? - Cuba - 19 July '10

Offline hazimil

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 07:51:25 pm »
Added:

Update your Video Drivers
Keeping your video drivers up-to-date will help with graphic performance, not just with EverQuest but with your PC in general.

Offline Biktin

• God-like Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 10:12:02 pm »
StickFigure=1

In your ini. Its amazeballs!

Offline JARROD

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2019, 02:29:28 pm »
Decent need to accomplish something like this with mine

Offline Elfguard

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 03:36:09 pm »
since i changed
CPUAffinity0=-1
when i start EQ, after about 5 min, anyhow if i use EQ or not , The HD starts workin like mad, for about 30 min, the stops to restart after a while again !!!! =(
Elfguard, War 29K